Free Download DNSCrypt-proxy, the latest standalone offline installer for macOS. It is a flexible DNS proxy with support for encrypted DNS protocols.
Overview of DNSCrypt-proxy for macOS
A flexible DNS proxy with support for modern encrypted DNS protocols such as DNSCrypt, DNS-over-HTTPS, Anonymized DNSCrypt, and ODoH (Oblivious DoH). When it comes to internet security, safeguarding your DNS (Domain Name System) queries is of paramount importance. This software is a robust and open-source tool designed to enhance online privacy and security by encrypting your DNS queries.
Features of DNSCrypt-proxy for macOS
- DNS traffic encryption and authentication. Supports DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) using TLS 1.3 and QUIC, DNSCrypt, Anonymized DNS, and ODoH
- Client IP addresses can be hidden using Tor, SOCKS proxies, or Anonymized DNS relays.
- DNS query monitoring, with separate log files for regular and suspicious queries
- Filtering: block ads, malware, and other unwanted content. Compatible with all DNS services
- Time-based filtering with a flexible weekly schedule
- Transparent redirection of specific domains to specific resolvers
- DNS caching to reduce latency and improve privacy
- Local IPv6 blocking to reduce latency on IPv4-only networks
- Load balancing: pick a set of resolvers; it will automatically measure and keep track of their speed and balance the traffic across the fastest available ones.
- Cloaking: like a HOSTS file on steroids, that can return preconfigured addresses for specific names or resolve and return the IP address of other names. This can be used for local development as well as to enforce safe search results on Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and Bing
Automatic background updates of resolver lists
- Can force outgoing connections to use TCP
- Compatible with DNSSEC
- Includes a local DoH server to support ECH (ESNI)
Technical Details and System Requirements
macOS 10.12 or later
Q: Is It the same as a VPN for online privacy?
A: Well, these two serve different purposes. While a VPN routes all your internet traffic through a secure server, it only encrypts DNS queries. It adds an extra layer of security to your online activities, particularly protecting against DNS-related threats.
Q: Can I use It alongside a VPN?
A: You can use It alongside a VPN to enhance your online privacy and security. They complement each other, as the VPN encrypts your internet traffic while it secures your DNS queries.
Q: How can I configure on my Mac?
A: Setting up on your Mac involves downloading the software, configuring it with your chosen DNS resolvers, and enabling it as your system's DNS resolver. There are detailed guides and documentation available to walk you through the process.
Q: Does It slow down my internet connection?
A: It is designed to minimize latency; in most cases, you won't notice any slowdown in your internet connection. However, the speed might be influenced by your chosen DNS resolver and your internet service provider.
Q: Is It a replacement for antivirus and firewall software?
A: No, It primarily focuses on securing your DNS queries. While it enhances online privacy and security, it does not replace the need for antivirus and firewall software, which protect against a wider range of threats.
It is a valuable tool for anyone looking to bolster their online privacy and security. Its encryption capabilities, compatibility with various protocols, and ease of use make it a sensible choice for safeguarding your DNS queries. Whether you're concerned about privacy or want to protect yourself from DNS-based attacks, this tool is a solid addition to your cybersecurity toolkit.